Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happy Birthday and Giving Thanks

4 years ago, the unthinkable happened. My best friend lost her son to a senseless murder. The shooter did not know her son, he couldn't find find his intended victim and he was determined to cause some damage. He succeeded. He shattered a thousand lives in an instant. I can't even describe what we went through during this tragedy. To this day, I marvel at my friend's courage to carry on without her beloved son. She struggles everyday, and some days are good, some not so good. Today was a tough day for her. Mario would have been 20 today. September 16th and August 6th (day he was taken from us) are two of the toughest days for her, for all of us, actually. When I got home today, there was a package waiting for me. Inside was a glass angel and a small votive candle with the words, Mario's 20th. Michelle dropped off these candles throughout the day and asked all of us to light his candle tonight to honor his birthday. For those who know me well, lighting a candle is very symbolic to me. It calms me, it comforts me and it grounds me. I was going to light one anyway, but I am more than honored to light his candle.

Mario meant so much to so many. I truly believe he was here to remind us how precious life is and how much we have to be thankful for. I mean really, when I am having a rough day, I think about Mario and am reminded how much I need to not sweat the small stuff.

So tonight, I salute my friend's son, and I salute all of you. Life is really a gift. Go hug someone for me tonight.

Below is an "official" photo we used for Mario's press. His story touched people throughout America. From pro ball players, actors, activists, police academies, teachers, students, and loved ones.

One Love

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is really beautiful, yoli. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Of to hug now!

FAQ said...

God bless you for this. God bless and keep his mother. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Seriously, thank you for sharing! It can see that he did touch a lot of lives, and he's still touching them now, because I'm off to kiss my kids AGAIN... just for him :)

Anonymous said...

so beautiful and thank you for sharing...a good way to start the day...to remember and to enjoy each and every minute...thank you oxoxo

Tamie Oldridge said...

Ditto what Missy said...wow.
Thank you for sharing Yoli.
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

I love the altar for Mario. Peace.